For me one thing that can really tarnish the experience and the adventure of backpacking around world is if the places you visit are just home from home or if there’s hoards of other tourists doing exactly the same as you.
Before you book your around the world airfare you may want to make sure that the countries your planning on visiting will really give you the oportunity to get off the beaten track and have that once in a lifetime experience.
Here’s some recommended places to go to get away from the crowds and off the beaten track. If you’ve any hot tips for places to get off the beaten track please share below!
1. Indonesia If your want to avoid the crowds in Indonesia you need to head away from Bali. The nature of a collection of islands means travelling will not be easy, but will be fun! Combinations of buses and ferries will be a test of character but also an eye opening experience. Travel over land to Labuhanbajo, Bajawa and Kelimutu on the island of Flores and fly back.
2. Thailand Most people head for Islands, not without good reason, but few seem to head to Khao Sok National Park. Not difficult to get to, but staying in a tree house as baboons corus around you is an unforgettable experience.
3. Argentina I’ve not seen alot of Argentina but the North seemed like a particularly special area to explore. Strange geological formations are abundant and staying in the small village of Tilcara is without doubt a highlight. This tiny village was supplied with numerous butchers combined with vegetables costing next to nothing a barbecued feast should be enjoyed every night!
4. Peru Watching the Condors at Colca Canyon you’ll share the experinece with a lot of other tourists but make your own way there rather than taking an organised tour and you’ll get to stay long after the crowds have left for a more personal experience!
5. Bolivia – In comparison to its mainly touristy neighbor Peru, Bolivia is a breath of fresh air, having visited many of the countries attractions I don’t think your likely to bump into too many tour groups and getting around the country is mainly by local transport which always more rewarding!
6. Vietnam As most people travel up the coast of Vietnam its not easy to avoid the main tourist spots but a stop in the resort of Nha Trang will give you a real Vietnamese tourist experience!
7. New Zealand Its not hard to get away from the crowds in NZ. Visiting some of the small towns suchas Blackball are are great way to see a different side of the country.
Trying to travel with the ethos of a backpacker, no matter of budget, whether I'm across the other side of the world or over the road.
Latest posts by Benedict Adam (see all)
- World’s most Famous Sports Stadiums - June 5, 2014
- I see dragons. Komodo, a Photo tour - May 16, 2014
- Cerro de los Siete Colores (7 colour rock mountain) - May 14, 2014