44 miles to the west of La Paz, Bolivia are the mysterious ruins of Tiwanaku, they are recognized by Andean scholars as one of the most important precursors to the Inca Empire, flourishing as the ritual and administrative capital of a major state power for approximately five hundred years. The ruins of the ancient city state can be reached from La Paz. At 90 minutes each way its a fair hike if your not that interested in ancient ruins but they are pretty impressive and atmospheric either way.
- further reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiwanaku
- getting there: http://iguide.travel/Tiwanaku/Getting_There
Trying to travel with the ethos of a backpacker, no matter of budget, whether I'm across the other side of the world or over the road.
Latest posts by Benedict Adam (see all)
- World’s most Famous Sports Stadiums - June 5, 2014
- I see dragons. Komodo, a Photo tour - May 16, 2014
- Cerro de los Siete Colores (7 colour rock mountain) - May 14, 2014